Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default vicarious moral responsibility

On 3/10/2012 6:38 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On 10 Mrz., 15:00, George > wrote:

>>> Really?

>> Really.

> So let me be absolutely clear about your worldview, George.

Have a go at it.

> You deny that, in going vegan, I was making some effort to reduce the
> amount of suffering and premature death of conscious creatures that
> need to take place in order to produce my food.

Yes, because you really had no idea if it was going to make a difference
or not, because you hadn't counted, and you never did investigate the CD
counts for grass-fed beef or wild-caught fish or any other changes you
might have made instead. You just *assumed*, on the basis of no
evidence and also knowing *nothing* about CDs at the time that you made
your switch, that not putting animal parts in your mouth would
automatically mean you weren't killing any animals. You've said
repeatedly that you knew as an adolescent before making the switch that
crop farming caused CDs. I just don't believe you. My own adolescence
is pretty far behind me, but I'm around a pretty good number of
adolescents now, and none - not a single one - have that precocious sort
of awareness of the world that one would need. They're kids, and kids
don't think that way. We've talked about this before, how some bright
people grossly and grotesquely overstate how aware they were when they
were younger. It's just bullshit.