Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default What to eat

On Mar 9, 8:15*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 11:09 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> But you're not willing to spend one minute doing the research yourself..

> > Yes. I have spent more than one minute trying to do research

> No, you haven't. *Cut the shit, Woopert.

As usual, Ball thinks he is in a position to know something which he
obviously isn't.

> >> * *As with all "animal rights passivists", you expect someone else to try
> >> to salvage your bankrupt belief system for you.

> > I don't expect anyone else to do anything.

> That's a lie. *You expect "constructive suggestions".

No, I don't expect anything. I have indicated that if anyone has any
constructive suggestions I would be interested to hear about them.

I have done something directed towards the goal of trying to reduce
the amount of suffering required to produce my diet. I have read
information about how animals are treated on modern farms and changed
my diet, and I have sought out further information about the negative
impact of farming on animals, and discussed the matter with other
people on the Internet. That is something. You are entitled to think
it's not very much if you wish, but it's a bit weird why you would put
so much effort into trying to make the case when you yourself have
presumably done nothing at all. There is no reason why I should take
an interest in your opinion about the matter unless you have some
specific constructive suggestion for what more I can do.

> >> And:

> >> But you don't. *"Doing the best you can" implies *doing* something, but
> >> the only thing you have blabbered about is what you're *not* doing:
> >> putting animal bits in your mouth.

> > Reading information about how animals are treated on modern farms

> does nothing to reduce the death toll *you* cause with what you eat.

At the time I originally read the information I was not yet vegan.
After reading the information I went vegan. It is reasonable to
suppose that that reduced the suffering and death associated with the
production of the food that I eat. I would gladly take further steps
to reduce the suffering and death associated with the production of
the food that I eat if I was aware of something specific I could
usefully do.