Reidİ

Default Pukka mealtimes

Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

>Knowing the true source isn't protectionism, agreed, that can be on the
>label. Insisting that a generally understood generic name (cheddar, sherry,
>port, etc.) is legally only attached to one place is.

Its probably too far down the line to change but I would love the
cheddar producers to act like French producers, with almost every
village having its own named cheese. The cheddar situation just
reflects UK/US/Canada etc lack of respect for what they do.

Sherry.
Manzanilla comes from Sanlucar de Barrameda, the grapes grow on
chalk in the salty sea air. The soleras mature in the sea air for
generations. It can come from nowhere else! Nobody else has the
terroir. Let anyone produce thiier local drink or food, but dont
let them demean themselves by labelling it with the name of
somewhere elses product.

>> >Is it that you like the idea of third world farmers starving?

>> What has political non alignment got to do with it?
>> But no, I always buy vietnamese champagne, chinese beef and
>> african whisky. I strongly believe the developing countries
>> should be given a helping hand by being allowed to forge
>> developed world products.
>>

>If you believe that then you can't, at the same time,

You forgot to switch on your irony alarm.

>support the protectionism that would insist that whisky comes from Scotland (whiskey, of
>course can come from Ireland,

true

>Yankland or Outer Mongolia)

Bourbon is bourbon. Mongolia is free to market that fermented yak
butter drink.

>Beef comes from cattle, the location isn't important.

Why was the Scots reputation for quality free range grass fed
beef damaged by the BSE problem? Think about it.

If you are not convinced, buy a piece of average lamb and buy a
piece of free range Herdwicke wether grown on the Lake District
Fells.
We are what we eat, so is our food.

>Indeed. This is another protectionist measure, trade marking.

you confuse free trade with fraud.

The ethos of generic food production is one of "passing off" and
lowest common denominator food production. Let each producer
stand by his own reputation gained by his own hard work.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso