Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Pukka mealtimes

"Reidİ" > wrote in message
> Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks
>
> >> Not shocked, but it would be a nice thing if there was a sort of
> >> appelation controllee system for such things, for instance, meat
> >> not grown in the place it alleges to come from.

> >Why exactly do you support this protectionism?

> Knowing the true source of a product is not protectionism.
> If the source has to be concealed, what does that say of the
> reputation of the true producing area?

Knowing the true source isn't protectionism, agreed, that can be on the
label. Insisting that a generally understood generic name (cheddar, sherry,
port, etc.) is legally only attached to one place is.

> >Is it that you like the idea of third world farmers starving?

> What has political non alignment got to do with it?
> But no, I always buy vietnamese champagne, chinese beef and
> african whisky. I strongly believe the developing countries
> should be given a helping hand by being allowed to forge
> developed world products.

If you believe that then you can't, at the same time, support the
protectionism that would insist that whisky comes from Scotland (whiskey, of
course can come from Ireland, Yankland or Outer Mongolia) and that cheddar
only comes from Cheddar etc. etc.. Beef comes from cattle, the location
isn't important.

> >Or is it that you imagine that specifying the location also ensures the
> >quality?

> Ah yes, I have been waiting for this one since you mentioned
> cheddar.
> When a producer can guarantee his product will not be
> counterfeited he is in the position to build a reputation for
> quality if he wishes. The consumer, knowing the source is able to
> descriminate between the good and the bad over time. A piece of
> cheese just labelled "cheddar" tells us almost nothing about the
> cheese in the present situation.

Indeed. This is another protectionist measure, trade marking. It can mean
that the produce is identified with a particular producer for good or ill.
This, however, has nothing to do with regional identities. Joe Bloggs can
buy an acre in Rhiems, plant a few grapes and call the muck he produces
Champagne, if he does the same a dozen kilometres away, he can be
prosecuted. This makes no sense.

--
Middle age is when you're sitting at home on a Saturday night and the
telephone rings and you hope that it isn't for you - 'It takes all sorts'