Javi

Default Pukka mealtimes

The carbon unit using the name Peter H.M. Brooks > in
gave utterance as follows:

> "Matti Lamprhey" > wrote in message
>> "Reidİ" > wrote...
>>> Following up to Robert Bannister

>>> I think its worth saying that the only similarity between a
>>> spanish tortilla and a french omelette is egg. IMHO "filling"
>>> isn't the right word for a tortilla, the potato being integral.
>>>
>>> As you say olive oil is fine for both frying and deep frying. The
>>> use of butter for a french omelette is presumably for the taste,
>>> as its not a high temperature process, whereas the tortilla
>>> requires raising the olive oil to smoke point.

>> Hmm. I don't think olive oil will stand up to the high temperatures
>> which are often associated with deep frying. I wouldn't use it for
>> chips, f'r instance.
>>

> You are quite right, it would be unwise to use it for chips.

Then Spaniards are quite unwise: we believe that the best "frituras" (deep
fried stuff, usually chips or fish) are those made in olive oil.

> Omelettes are not deep fried though! The smoke point of olive oil is
> much higher than the burn point of butter so is better for omelettes.
>
> Actually I simplified it rather. What I actually do is use a little
> olive oil to get the pan heated to the smoke point, then I add the
> butter, just before (or sometimes mixed into the omelette mixture)
> adding the omelette mixture. The reason for doing this is that adding
> oil to butter increases the burn point of butter, so a mix of 90%
> butter, 10% olive oil won't burn at the smoke point of olive oil -
> pure butter will.

And do not forget, if you are the kind that consider these things, that
olive oil is much healthier than butter. I use olive oil, and when preparing
certain meals that originally are to be made with butter, I add a *little*
butter, just for the taste.

--
Saludos cordiales

Javi