Old 02-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Pukka mealtimes

"Reidİ" wrote in message
Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

I have always considered 8.00 for 8.30 to mean aperitifs served at

8.00,
dinner served at 8.30.
Is this not the case?

Yes, but that is time for a small sherry only, and then only if it is a

tiny
dinner party, eight people or fewer - any more and it takes longer even

for
sherry.

In the real world outside ng's for most people 8 isn't a "tiny"
dinner party.

You aren't suggesting that I'm living in an unreal world are you?

With the dry sherry in a cooler, place bottles and glasses on a
table and tell the guests to help themselves, there is usually
someone willing to do the job amongst the guests anyway. It gets
them taking to one another and helps to destroy any potential
atmosphere of formality.

You can do that, but there's often some girlie who wants a medium sherry, so
you have to provide it and label it so that no normal person has to gag on
the dreadful stuff.

--
Men don't pay you to sleep with them. They pay you to go home - Philip Roth
'The Human Stain' pg 236