Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Pukka mealtimes

"Ian Northeast" > wrote in message
> "Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote:
> >
> > "Reidİ" > wrote in message

> > > curry omelette, never done that.
> > >

> > I'm delighted to have introduced the idea to you - they are really quite
> > superbe.
> >
> > Make the omelette the normal way, with plenty of good cheese, garlic and

> > hint of chillie (around three should do

> What is this new meaning of the word "hint" of which I have never heard?
> I've never heard of putting chilli or garlic in an omelette at all.

Aren't you lucky to have so much to learn and so much to experience!

> > - though a teaspoon of West Indian
> > Hot Pepper Sauce can be a substitute)

> "Dave's Insanity" is an example what you are referring to presumably.
> The stuff that makes Tabasco taste bland. Or possibly my Jamaican ex
> colleague Sam's mother's home made stuff, which was kept reverentially
> in a locked cupboard in our office in New Jersey and offered to
> unsuspecting visitors (not that I ever saw anyone accept it, when the
> lid was removed you could smell it on the other side of the office - not
> an unpleasant smell, there was zero chance of this stuff's ever going
> off - but enough to make you realise that you would be risking life and
> limb by trying a teaspoonful).

No, I wasn't meaning Dave's Insanity sauce - if you were using that then a
half a mustard spoonful would be quite enough! I was meaning Encona West
Indian Hot Pepper sauce.

> > - note that this is not one of the
> > flat tasteless things sometimes claimed to be omelettes, but the pukka

thing
> > [all ingredients whisked well with a fork, omelette pan {rounded, smooth
> > inside (never 'non-stick'), made from heavy cast iron} well oiled with

extra
> > virgin olive oil heated to the smoke point, everything chucked in at

once
> > then quickly folded over until all no longer runny so that a thick airy
> > delight is produced] - then, just as the omelette is browning slightly

on
> > the bottom, put as much of yesterday's Chicken Madras, Lamb Bengalore

Phal
> > meat or better over the whole omelette as it will hold, fold it over,

wait
> > until almost black on the bottom then serve. If anybody claims to be

hung
> > over after that they are either lying or still ****ed from the night

before.

> A rather strange combination of the delicate art of cooking an omelette
> and death by chilli overdose IMO I'd use butter not olive oil too.
> Olive oil burns at a rather low temperature.

Butter burns at a much lower one - unless you use ghee.

> I'll try this next time I have some left over curry and a hangover. Your
> recipe has been duly printed off and parked at the side of my fridge.
>
> How does it compare to whole teaspoonsful of neat mustard or wasabi?

No comparison.

> PS did you know about the French aristocrat who got guilloutined because
> of his ignorance of omelette making? He escaped the mayhem in Paris and
> repaired to a country inn. He ordered an omelette and the innkeeper
> asked how many eggs he wanted. He answered "12", so the innkeeper
> realised that he must never have cooked one himself and so must be an
> aristocrat and shopped him.

An excellent story! Would it were that ignorance of cookery were still
fatal - imagine how much better life would be after a few years.

--
"The highest realms of thought
are impossible to reach

SOCRATES