Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default vicarious moral responsibility

On Mar 7, 9:32*pm, George Plimpton > wrote:
> "glen" or "mark" or "little cocksucker" - the friend of Lesley Simon,
> the Whore of Ballaghaderreen, County Roscommon - has it. *He shares
> moral responsibility for the animal CDs caused in order to put food on
> his plate. *This cannot be rationally disputed.
>
> His relationship with the hands-on killers of animals has these elements:
>
> * the relationship is voluntary - no coercion applied to the principal
>
> * the principal is an active participant, i.e., actively engages in
> * *the relationship such as, for example, going to the grocery
>
> * the principal is fully aware of the agent's actions
>
> * the relationship is not instrumentally necessary for the principal to
> * *achieve a legitimate goal, e.g. the acquisition of food
>
> "mark" or "glen" or "little cocksucker" or whatever he is this week
> doesn't need to hire an agent at all, and he doesn't need to hire one
> who kills animals collaterally. *That he does makes him share moral
> responsibility for the deaths of animals. *He cannot claim to be living
> a "cruelty free 'lifestyle'", and he sure as hell isn't "minimizing" his
> CD footprint because he has never measured.

Your injection of carbon emission's into our planet's atmosphere has
these elements:

- It is voluntary; no-one is coercing you into doing it.

- You are an active participant

- You are fully aware of the likely consequences of continued
injection of carbon emissions into our planet's atmosphere for other
humans

- It is not instrumentally necessary for you to achieve any
legitimate goal.

You therefore have vicarious moral responsibility for the future harms
to humans that will take place that will have been contributed to by
your activity.