Ian Northeast

Default Pukka mealtimes

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote:

> "Reidİ" > wrote in message

> > curry omelette, never done that.
> >

> I'm delighted to have introduced the idea to you - they are really quite
> superbe.
>
> Make the omelette the normal way, with plenty of good cheese, garlic and a
> hint of chillie (around three should do

What is this new meaning of the word "hint" of which I have never heard?
I've never heard of putting chilli or garlic in an omelette at all.

> - though a teaspoon of West Indian
> Hot Pepper Sauce can be a substitute)

"Dave's Insanity" is an example what you are referring to presumably.
The stuff that makes Tabasco taste bland. Or possibly my Jamaican ex
colleague Sam's mother's home made stuff, which was kept reverentially
in a locked cupboard in our office in New Jersey and offered to
unsuspecting visitors (not that I ever saw anyone accept it, when the
lid was removed you could smell it on the other side of the office - not
an unpleasant smell, there was zero chance of this stuff's ever going
off - but enough to make you realise that you would be risking life and
limb by trying a teaspoonful).

> - note that this is not one of the
> flat tasteless things sometimes claimed to be omelettes, but the pukka thing
> [all ingredients whisked well with a fork, omelette pan {rounded, smooth
> inside (never 'non-stick'), made from heavy cast iron} well oiled with extra
> virgin olive oil heated to the smoke point, everything chucked in at once
> then quickly folded over until all no longer runny so that a thick airy
> delight is produced] - then, just as the omelette is browning slightly on
> the bottom, put as much of yesterday's Chicken Madras, Lamb Bengalore Phal
> meat or better over the whole omelette as it will hold, fold it over, wait
> until almost black on the bottom then serve. If anybody claims to be hung
> over after that they are either lying or still ****ed from the night before.

A rather strange combination of the delicate art of cooking an omelette
and death by chilli overdose IMO I'd use butter not olive oil too.
Olive oil burns at a rather low temperature.

I'll try this next time I have some left over curry and a hangover. Your
recipe has been duly printed off and parked at the side of my fridge.

How does it compare to whole teaspoonsful of neat mustard or wasabi?

PS did you know about the French aristocrat who got guilloutined because
of his ignorance of omelette making? He escaped the mayhem in Paris and
repaired to a country inn. He ordered an omelette and the innkeeper
asked how many eggs he wanted. He answered "12", so the innkeeper
realised that he must never have cooked one himself and so must be an
aristocrat and shopped him.

Regards, Ian