Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Pukka mealtimes

"Adrian Tupper" > wrote in message
> "Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in
> :
> > >>
> >> Depends on how suddenly you make it happen probably.
> >>

> > Maybe. The study showed that siestas tended to reduce life expectency.

> How on earth can they measure that?

You'd have to look up the studies. They examined people who did and didn't
have siestas and controlled for other variables.

> > I suppose that, if enough thought were put to the matter, with
> > hydraulic beds that gently lever you into a vertical position over the
> > final ten minutes of your kip this might be addressed that way.

> No it's the difference between leaping out of bed when the alarm goes
> off and pausing for a minute or two after waking up naturally.

I'm not certain of that, you might be right, but the heart might find the
standing up from lying down bit the problem. More research needed.

> > It
> > seems that we haven't evolved for long siestaring - it makes sense,
> > even with the Aquatic Ape theory a siestaring pre-hominoid would
> > present a very easy snack for a crocodile or shark [though sharks,
> > strangely, don't seem to like the taste of people much].

> Back on topic at last!

Sometimes it happens.

--
Only very sophisticated organisms like philosophers fail to be naive
realists! - David H.M. Brooks How to Solve the Hard Problem: A Predictable