Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default The 'vegan' shuffle

On 7 Mrz., 17:52, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/7/2012 8:30 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Barely.

> > No, I did correct him, full stop.

> Weakly. *Basically, you mumbled it.

You're a fool.

> >> Nope. *Not in the least. *"vegans" claim to be causing no harm of a
> >> particular kind, even though they are causing it. *I never made any
> >> claim not to be causing harm anywhere. *I never claimed to be causing no
> >> harm, and I never claimed to be minimizing. *Recognizing that some harm
> >> to someone's interests is inevitable, and that reducing it can be
> >> desirable, I am always open to suggestions. *I recycle as much waste as
> >> I know how to do; when I was much younger, I recycled nothing. *I always
> >> turn out the light when I leave a room in the house. *I set my
> >> thermostat to a lower temperature in cool weather and a higher
> >> temperature in warm weather than I did when I was younger. *I suggest
> >> these things to others, and I am receptive to their suggestions.

> >> Above all else, I don't compare myself to others in trying to decide if
> >> I'm doing what is right. *That comparison, more than anything else, is
> >> what completely queers "veganism" - it is entirely predicated on such an
> >> invidious comparison, and that's immoral.

> > Veganism is not predicated on a comparison.

> Of course it is.

Wrong.

> > You have just admitted that you engage in activities that cause harm
> > to humans even though you believe that humans have rights, but you say
> > that you are "trying to do the best you can".

> Nope - I absolutely did *not* say I'm doing the best I can. *I also
> didn't say that I try not to impose environmental harm on humans due to
> their "rights"; it's because of their interests, and because of my wish
> to benefit from their similar consideration.

If you don't think that your contribution to global warming violates
human rights, then how do you figure Glen is violating the polar
bears' rights?

> > You haven't got any
> > grounds on which to criticise vegans who try to do the best they can
> > to reduce the harm they cause to animals.

> 1. *"vegans" are *NOT* "doing the best they can" - this has been
> * * *established beyond dispute in several ways, focusing on the
> * * *absolute *fact* that "vegans" don't even conduct any analysis
> * * *whatever on which vegetable crops are least-harm within the
> * * *universe of all vegetable crops, and also on the *fact* that
> * * *it is possible to follow a meat-including diet that is lower
> * * *harm than many "vegan" diets.

There is no reason to think that vegans would be able to achieve any
significant further reduction in harm by doing an analysis of which
vegetable crops are least-harm, partly because there is no reliable
information available about that anyway, the research has not been
done.

You have never given any practical suggestions for how to follow a
meat-including diet that is lower in harm than many vegan diets.

> * * *"vegans" are not doing the best they can - never.

You've given no rational grounds for thinking so.

> 2. *"vegans" absolutely *do* engage in a loathsome comparison with
> * * *omnivores. *Their conclusion about their virtue is false.

Wrong.