Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Pukka mealtimes

"Adrian Tupper" > wrote in message
> "Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in
> :
> > >>
> >> Not usually so soon. Rather, at around 14:30-15h .
> >>

> > My memory is probably faulty - that means it must end at about 17h00,
> > or later. When I was there the chaps I was working with were deeply
> > annoyed by the Europeanisation, as they saw it, of Spanish culture
> > that removed the traditional siesta from the daily routine. They
> > considered a three and a half to four hour lunch break a pitiful
> > substitute for a pukka siesta.

> I would go for the siesta option any time.

In warm climes it is the only thing that makes sense at that time of day -
even with air-conditioning.

> > I rather like siestas myself, but recent research suggests that they
> > are bad for the heart - the greatest danger to the heart is getting
> > out of bed in the morning, particularly on Monday mornings (when most
> > heart attacks happen) so, if you have a life where you get out of bed
> > twice a day you are putting a lot more strain on the ticker.

> Depends on how suddenly you make it happen probably.

Maybe. The study showed that siestas tended to reduce life expectency. I
suppose that, if enough thought were put to the matter, with hydraulic beds
that gently lever you into a vertical position over the final ten minutes of
your kip this might be addressed that way. It seems that we haven't evolved
for long siestaring - it makes sense, even with the Aquatic Ape theory a
siestaring pre-hominoid would present a very easy snack for a crocodile or
shark [though sharks, strangely, don't seem to like the taste of people
much].

--
"The highest realms of thought
are impossible to reach