Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Pukka mealtimes

"Joanna Prescott" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:44:46 +0200, "Peter H.M. Brooks"
> > wrote:
>

> >When is the pukka time to eat? My understanding is as follows, but I
> >will welcome any corrections or suggestions particularly those
> >with references.
> >
> >Chota Hazri - Five Thirty (05h30)
> >Breakfast - Seven (07h00)
> >Elevenses - Eleven (11h00)
> >Lunch - Lunchtime (12h30)
> >Afternoon Tea - Teatime (15h30)
> >Dinner - Seven (19h00)
> >Supper - Ten Thirty (22h30)
> >Midnight Snack - Midnight (24h00)
> >Midnight Feast - To Midnight (23h30 - 00h30)
> >
> >There are other snack times possible, but they don't have proper names.

> Tiffin covers a snack at any time the tummy feels the need.

Ah, thank you, Joanna, tiffin, yes, another important repast that I
overlooked! Tiffin is, properly, a light lunch - to be distinguished from
the normal one. So you could imagine a day where an inadequate brunch was
followed by a tiffin.

> Personally I don't find it pukka to be awake at 5.30 am. Unless one
> has not yet retired, or has a flight to catch.
> I'd also place lunch at 1 pm and afternoon tea at 4 pm. But this might
> differ in the colonies.

I think that the heat moves things out a bit at mid-day and the cool of the
evening moves them back a little. We have, maybe elsewhere, discussed the
wisdom of arranging a pub lunch to start at about 12:24, to ensure obtaining
a seat.

> You've omitted cocktails, which I'd place at 6.30 or 7 pm, moving
> dinner a little later.

Yes, this is what had me confused about dinner invitations being made for
8h00 for 8h30 - you only need a couple of sherries and dinner is very late
indeed. Far better for dinner invitations to specify 6h30 for 07h00 where it
is understood that the first hour or so involves Whisky Sours, Obtuse
Dinasour's, Champagne Cocktails, Soire de Gala's or, for the very, very
lucky, Brompton Cocktails. Much more civilised.

> In a suitable location there might be beach barbecue which could be at
> dawn - making use of the catch of the day, or could be in place of
> dinner and supper.

Dawn takes a bit of arranging - particularly if you aren't that keen on
05h30 starts! Afternoon beach barbecues are certainly a very good thing -
I'd recommend against holding them (as I did for several weeks) in a coconut
plantation, on the beach since, while sharks kill 10 people a year, 100
people a year are killed by falling coconuts.

--
Judges are known for making extreme antediluvian remarks from time to time,
their being dressed as Ark stevedores only encourages this anachronistic