Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default The 'vegan' shuffle

On 3/7/2012 8:30 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On 7 Mrz., 17:20, George > wrote:

>>> I did.

>> Barely.
>>

> No, I did correct him, full stop.

Weakly. Basically, you mumbled it.

>>> It seems to be implicit in your accusing vegans of hypocrisy while
>>> denying that you yourself are a hypocrite.

>> Nope. Not in the least. "vegans" claim to be causing no harm of a
>> particular kind, even though they are causing it. I never made any
>> claim not to be causing harm anywhere. I never claimed to be causing no
>> harm, and I never claimed to be minimizing. Recognizing that some harm
>> to someone's interests is inevitable, and that reducing it can be
>> desirable, I am always open to suggestions. I recycle as much waste as
>> I know how to do; when I was much younger, I recycled nothing. I always
>> turn out the light when I leave a room in the house. I set my
>> thermostat to a lower temperature in cool weather and a higher
>> temperature in warm weather than I did when I was younger. I suggest
>> these things to others, and I am receptive to their suggestions.
>>
>> Above all else, I don't compare myself to others in trying to decide if
>> I'm doing what is right. That comparison, more than anything else, is
>> what completely queers "veganism" - it is entirely predicated on such an
>> invidious comparison, and that's immoral.

> Veganism is not predicated on a comparison.

Of course it is.

> You have just admitted that you engage in activities that cause harm
> to humans even though you believe that humans have rights, but you say
> that you are "trying to do the best you can".

Nope - I absolutely did *not* say I'm doing the best I can. I also
didn't say that I try not to impose environmental harm on humans due to
their "rights"; it's because of their interests, and because of my wish
to benefit from their similar consideration.

> You haven't got any
> grounds on which to criticise vegans who try to do the best they can
> to reduce the harm they cause to animals.

1. "vegans" are *NOT* "doing the best they can" - this has been
established beyond dispute in several ways, focusing on the
absolute *fact* that "vegans" don't even conduct any analysis
whatever on which vegetable crops are least-harm within the
universe of all vegetable crops, and also on the *fact* that
it is possible to follow a meat-including diet that is lower
harm than many "vegan" diets.

"vegans" are not doing the best they can - never.

2. "vegans" absolutely *do* engage in a loathsome comparison with
omnivores. Their conclusion about their virtue is false.