Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default What to eat

On Mar 6, 7:31*pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote in message

> >> Logic. Propositions are built on logic.

> > No, empirical propositions don't come from logic alone, they are
> > grounded in factual evidence.

> You have already conceded the basic premise that modern mechanized
> agriculture kills animals. Based on that premise it is not unreasonable to
> conclude that some vegan food costs more animal lives than some non-vegan
> food. Further, it is not unreasonable to conclude that a fairly wide
> selection of both types fall within a range that would be considered
> acceptable to most people. I would add that the practice of some vegans to
> examine content labels and reject with disgust any food that might have the
> slightest trace of animal DNA is absurd given that most outdoor grown food
> likely has some trace of animal DNA.

Yes, all right, fine, but I am not especially convinced that free-
range organic chicken is likely to involve less animal suffering than
a calorically equivalent serving of vegan food, because chickens need
to be fed by grains that involve animal CDs, and it's a less efficient
use of grains to nourish humans than is the case with directly buying
the plant-based food.

I gave a specific example of a meal I ate and asked you if I would
have been better off with free-range organic chicken. It looks as
though the answer to that is no, or at least you are not confidently
answering yes.

> >> No it's not, it is a literal interpretation. We don't all share your
> >> assumptions. All you said was that you were a vegan, period. That does
> >> NOT
> >> necessarily mean you are eating a healthy diet.

> > But it makes it quite likely, if the diet is reasonably sensible.

> Perhaps, but I would suggest that in the name of truth in advertising let's
> be precise in our wording.

I will do my best to be more precise in my wording in the future.

> >> If that's what you are claiming then that's what you should say. *I have
> >> no
> >> way of knowing that your vegan diet is "reasonably sensible" nor that you
> >> are comparing it with a "typical" meat based diet, whatever that is. Why
> >> don't you compare a crappy vegan diet with a sensible balanced diet that
> >> includes some low fat meat?

> >> That may be obvious to you, but you said that all your doctor knows is
> >> that
> >> your diet is vegan. Based on that she should not be telling you that your
> >> diet is healthy, you may have a severe B-12 deficiency for example.

> > I have regular blood tests to check for side-effects of my meds, and
> > we check my iron and B-12 levels when we do those.

> That's not the point. You're comparing a presumed sensible vegan diet with a
> "typical" western diet (You still haven't defined that), but if you mean one
> that includes quite a bit of fast food and fatty meat and over-eating then
> of course your diet wins any competition easily, nobody would deny that. The
> relevant comparisons for the purpose of showing that many of these
> categorical claims are wrong are the less than sensible vegan diets such as
> ones heavy on refined pasta which are not that healthy and ones that depend
> on imported and/or heavily processed meat substitutes which are not
> necessarily better than free range meat with respect to animal impact.
>
> I would never argue that a well planned vegan or vegetarian diet is bad, my
> point is that a well planned non-vegan diet can be just as good, based on
> all the same criteria, except one, that is the issue of animal
> *exploitation*.

I am skeptical that it is likely to be just as good on the issue of
animal suffering if grains need to be grown to feed the animals.