Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default The 'vegan' shuffle

On Mar 6, 7:25*pm, Derek > wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:35:28 +0000, Glen > wrote:
> >On 06/03/2012 03:35, George Plimpton wrote:
> >> They are? *So, if you admit that *some* of your vegetables cause animal
> >> death - and they do - then you're a murderer, right?

> >No. If I personally killed them or paid a food producer to kill them
> >on my behalf then yes I would be a murderer like you. I or rather
> >Derek explained this to you last time I was here.
> >_________________________________________________ _____
> >Meat eaters who fail to justify the deaths accrued during the
> >production of their food often try to head off any criticism from
> >vegans by demanding that they too must accept liability for the deaths
> >accrued during the production of their food. Farmers, they say, who
> >kill animals collaterally while producing vegetables, are under the
> >employ of vegetarians, just as farmers who kill animals to produce
> >meat are under the employ of meat eaters. The liability for these
> >animal deaths in both food groups is identical, they say, and the
> >vegan therefore has no grounds for criticising the meat eater. But
> >this is a dishonest argument which relies on ignoring the relationship
> >between the consumer (employer) and the farmer (employee). *Unlike the
> >servant or agent who acts directly under his employer's dictates, the
> >farmer is an independent contractor who carries out his job according
> >to his own method. From Wiki;

> >[Historical tests centered around finding control between a supposed
> >employer and an employee, in a form of master and servant
> >relationship. The roots for such a test can be found in Yewens v
> >Noakes, where Bramwell LJ stated that:

> > * * "...a servant is a person who is subject to the command of his
> >master as to the manner in which he shall do his work."

> >The control test effectively imposed liability where an employer
> >dictated both what work was to be done, and how it was to be done.
> >This is aptly suited for situations where precise instructions are
> >given by an employer; it can clearly be seen that the employer is the
> >causal link for any harm which follows. If on the other hand an
> >employer does not determine how an act should be carried out, then the
> >relationship would instead be one of employer and independent
> >contractor. This distinction was explained by Slesser LJ:
> >"It is well established as a general rule of English law that an
> >employer is not liable for the acts of his independent contractor in
> >the same way as he is for the acts of his servants or agents, even
> >though these acts are done in carrying out the work for his benefit
> >under the contract. The determination whether the actual wrongdoer is
> >a servant or agent on the one hand or an independent contractor on the
> >other depends on whether or not the employer not only determines what
> >is to be done, but retains the control of the actual performance, in
> >which case the doer is a servant or agent; but if the employer, while
> [...]

Making these statements is not "promoting animal cruelty" to any
greater extent than Derek promotes animal cruelty when he buys plant-
based food products.

Derek is stating that I am psychotic because I experienced a psychotic
illness in 2001. Derek is not ashamed of stigmatising people who have
a history of mental illness.