Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default What to eat

"Rupert" > wrote in message
> On Mar 5, 8:58 pm, "Dutch" > wrote:

>> > And what's the evidence for that proposition?

>> Logic. Propositions are built on logic.
>>

> No, empirical propositions don't come from logic alone, they are
> grounded in factual evidence.

You have already conceded the basic premise that modern mechanized
agriculture kills animals. Based on that premise it is not unreasonable to
conclude that some vegan food costs more animal lives than some non-vegan
food. Further, it is not unreasonable to conclude that a fairly wide
selection of both types fall within a range that would be considered
acceptable to most people. I would add that the practice of some vegans to
examine content labels and reject with disgust any food that might have the
slightest trace of animal DNA is absurd given that most outdoor grown food
likely has some trace of animal DNA.

>> > That's a silly interpretation of my claim.

>> No it's not, it is a literal interpretation. We don't all share your
>> assumptions. All you said was that you were a vegan, period. That does
>> NOT
>> necessarily mean you are eating a healthy diet.
>>

> But it makes it quite likely, if the diet is reasonably sensible.

Perhaps, but I would suggest that in the name of truth in advertising let's
be precise in our wording.

>> > Obviously my claim was that
>> > if you eat a reasonably sensible vegetarian diet then it's likely to
>> > be healthier than a typical meat-based diet

>> If that's what you are claiming then that's what you should say. I have
>> no
>> way of knowing that your vegan diet is "reasonably sensible" nor that you
>> are comparing it with a "typical" meat based diet, whatever that is. Why
>> don't you compare a crappy vegan diet with a sensible balanced diet that
>> includes some low fat meat?
>>
>> > and that's obviously what
>> > my doctor believes too.

>> That may be obvious to you, but you said that all your doctor knows is
>> that
>> your diet is vegan. Based on that she should not be telling you that your
>> diet is healthy, you may have a severe B-12 deficiency for example.

> I have regular blood tests to check for side-effects of my meds, and
> we check my iron and B-12 levels when we do those.

That's not the point. You're comparing a presumed sensible vegan diet with a
"typical" western diet (You still haven't defined that), but if you mean one
that includes quite a bit of fast food and fatty meat and over-eating then
of course your diet wins any competition easily, nobody would deny that. The
relevant comparisons for the purpose of showing that many of these
categorical claims are wrong are the less than sensible vegan diets such as
ones heavy on refined pasta which are not that healthy and ones that depend
on imported and/or heavily processed meat substitutes which are not
necessarily better than free range meat with respect to animal impact.

I would never argue that a well planned vegan or vegetarian diet is bad, my
point is that a well planned non-vegan diet can be just as good, based on
all the same criteria, except one, that is the issue of animal
*exploitation*.