Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default Attn: Woopert - "glen" claims to be "cruelty free" (was The'vegan' shuffle)

On 3/6/2012 6:07 AM, Glen wrote:
> On 06/03/2012 13:54, Rupert wrote:

>>> I have never denied that animals die during crop production. What I
>>> deny is George's baseless claim that all the food I eat is
>>> /contaminated/
>>> with it.

>> Well, suffering and death have to take place to produce your food, as
>> long as you acknowledge that that's fine.

> It may be the case that some animals die but I don't believe
> they /have/ to die.

They *do* die, and you're doing nothing to prevent it. You just keep
trying to cling to the fiction that because you're not the hands-on
killer, you don't have any moral responsibility for the deaths. That
position is false - you *do* have moral responsibility.

> I live on a farm and since my father's stroke
> about two years ago my sister and her husband keep a relatively
> small part of it going without killing animals

Bullshit. They kill animals.

> to produce vegetables and fruits all year round.

*NOT* enough for all of you to live on year round. It isn't even the
majority of what you eat.

Your moral pedestal is destroyed. You don't cause zero deaths, you
don't cause the lowest possible number of deaths, and you don't cause
fewer than *all* omnivores. You have nothing left.