Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Glen Glen is offline

Default The 'vegan' shuffle

On 05/03/2012 20:18, Dutch wrote:
> > wrote in message ...

>>> Cultivating, harvesting and distributing vegetables and fruits causes
>>> the deaths of animals, too.

>> That isn't true. It /may/ cause some deaths but it isn't a fact that
>> it *WILL* cause them. Eating meat *WILL* cause them.

>>> "Going 'vegan'" doesn't mean causing no deaths of animals.

>> It will mean causing no deaths to farm animals. That's a fact.

> So what?

So that means a lot to me. I don't want to kill farm animals. The
surest way to stop killing them is to stop eating them.

>Does the life of a cow have more value than the life of a mouse?

No.

>>> There is a 100% certainty that animals were harmed, including being
>>> killed, in order to produce your food.

>> No. I don't believe you. You're only saying that because you
>> want me to feel as guilty as you obviously do about the cruelty
>> and death on your plate.

> That's false, he feels no guilt about the deaths caused to bring him his
> food.

Yes he does but he won't admit it. He won't admit anything. He even
refuses to admit the deaths of the animals he eats.

"By the way, "eating" meat doesn't cause any deaths of
animals - the meat is already dead." - George

>The truth is that vegans, you, derive a perverse kick from trying to
> make non-vegans feel guilty.

But you *ARE* guilty. You can't escape that guilt.

> It doesn't work by the way

I think it does.

>>> You have presented no "fact" that warrants any examination.

>> It's a fact that eating meat causes the death of animals. It's not
>> a fact that eating vegetables and fruit causes the death of animals.

> It is a fact.

No it isn't.

>Fruit orchards are heavily sprayed with pesticides. Crop
> fields are sprayed with herbicides. Those are deadly chemicals. Machines
> used to till, spray and harvest also kill small animals, there have been
> studies done on that.

There's a plausible chance that some animals die in crop fields.
It's not a fact that all vegetable production kills animals.

>>> No

>> Yes. I've seen this argument before from corpse eaters

> How did it make you feel when you used that term? Do you think it made me
> feel guilty?

Yes but you're already racked with it anyway. You deserve it.

>> trying to
>> defend their cruelty by saying, "We're all killers,

> We are all killers of animals, full stop.

That proves my point. But my response is no, we are not all killers.

>I'm not saying that defend any
> cruelty,

Yes you are. Of course you are. You feed off the misery, pain,
blood and death of peaceful animals. You do it because you've
told yourself it's alright to do it because the animal can never
criticise you. You're now trying to get away from my criticism
by telling me I'm not in a position to criticise you because I'm
a killer as well. Well tough shit. I'm not a dumb animal and
I *DO* criticise you.

>> so leave me alone."
>> The deaths you cause are a necessary fact and unavoidable. The
>> deaths I /might/ cause are, by your own word, only "plausible" and
>> not a fact at all.

> They are a fact.

Not until it's supported by evidence.

>> If driving my car always caused misery and death I wouldn't
>> drive. If driving my car held only the plausible chance of misery
>> and death, like it does, I would still drive.

> You are misconstruing "plausible"

No I'm not.
plausible
1. having an appearance of truth or reason; seemingly worthy
of approval or acceptance
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plausible

> The difference between
>> doing something which always causes death and something which
>> only plausibly causes death is huge. You know it is but you'll never
>> admit to it because your guilt stops you.

> The food you eat always causes misery and death to animals.

I don't believe you.