Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default The 'vegan' shuffle

"Glen" > wrote in message ...
> On 05/03/2012 17:49, George Plimpton wrote:
>>> snip

>>> Eating meat causes the death of animals.

>> Cultivating, harvesting and distributing vegetables and fruits causes
>> the deaths of animals, too.

> That isn't true. It /may/ cause some deaths but it isn't a fact that
> it *WILL* cause them. Eating meat *WILL* cause them.
>
>>> There's no getting away
>>> from that fact until you stop eating meat and go vegan.

>> "Going 'vegan'" doesn't mean causing no deaths of animals.

> It will mean causing no deaths to farm animals. That's a fact.

So what? Does the life of a cow have more value than the life of a mouse?

>>> There's only a small chance that animals were killed to produce my food.

>> There is a 100% certainty that animals were harmed, including being
>> killed, in order to produce your food.

> No. I don't believe you. You're only saying that because you
> want me to feel as guilty as you obviously do about the cruelty
> and death on your plate.

That's false, he feels no guilt about the deaths caused to bring him his
food. The truth is that vegans, you, derive a perverse kick from trying to
make non-vegans feel guilty. It doesn't work by the way, it just makes you
look like a huge idiot.

>>> You don't want to acknowledge the huge difference between fact

>> You have presented no "fact" that warrants any examination.

> It's a fact that eating meat causes the death of animals. It's not
> a fact that eating vegetables and fruit causes the death of animals.

It is a fact. Fruit orchards are heavily sprayed with pesticides. Crop
fields are sprayed with herbicides. Those are deadly chemicals. Machines
used to till, spray and harvest also kill small animals, there have been
studies done on that.

>>> and plausibility because you want to make vegans feel as guilty
>>> as you do for all the pain, misery and death on your plate.

>> No

> Yes. I've seen this argument before from corpse eaters

How did it make you feel when you used that term? Do you think it made me
feel guilty?

> trying to
> defend their cruelty by saying, "We're all killers,

We are all killers of animals, full stop. I'm not saying that defend any
cruelty, I'm saying it to try and wake you out of your sleepwalking.

> so leave me alone."
> The deaths you cause are a necessary fact and unavoidable. The
> deaths I /might/ cause are, by your own word, only "plausible" and
> not a fact at all.

They are a fact.

> If driving my car always caused misery and death I wouldn't
> drive. If driving my car held only the plausible chance of misery
> and death, like it does, I would still drive.

You are misconstruing "plausible", it doesn't mean a slim possibility.
Driving your car through a busy schoolyard is analogous to driving a
harvester through a field of grain or rice.

The difference between
> doing something which always causes death and something which
> only plausibly causes death is huge. You know it is but you'll never
> admit to it because your guilt stops you.

The food you eat always causes misery and death to animals. Grow up and deal
with it and stop trying to shift the burden of guilt onto others.