Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 PM posted to rec.food.historic
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default avoiding sassafras

meh wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 22:14:57 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

I have been wanting to make root beer (or sarsaparilla, or birch
beer, or some similar thing), but I don't want to take a chance
with sassafras, which may be carcinogenic. Every recipe I have
seen for these things contains sassafras. Even sarsaparilla
extracts/essences usually turn out to be sassafras for some reason
that I don't comprehend. Does anyone here have a tried and true
recipe for making such a beverage (or for an extract to make one)
that doesn't contain sassafras? If so, I'd love to try it.

That's like asking how to make a steak without using meat.

Why? One would think sarsaparilla extract would at least contain
sarsaparilla. Ditto a drink called "sarsaparilla" must have
started out containing sarsaparilla. Most sarsaparilla extracts,
syrups, etc. don't contain any sarsaparilla and seem to be
sassafras-based. I actually have found ONE formula that avoids
sassafras, but I'd like to hear of something people have actually
made and liked.
--
Jean B.