Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default What to eat

On Mar 3, 7:00*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/2/2012 8:43 PM, Rupert wrote:

> >> You're a ****ing shitbag who loves refighting battles you lost long ago.

> > I've never lost any argument with you.

> *ALL* of them - you've lost all of them, rupie (or do you prefer woopert?)

> >> Figure it out, Dr. Windbag. *Surely you can put that maths Ph.D. to some
> >> good use.

> > You think my mathematical training can help me here?

> Maths whizzes have done a lot of work in computer science. *Computers
> might help you.

> >> Yes. *It *is* the fundamental assumption of "vegans", *you* know that it
> >> is, and *I* know that you know.

> > Previously you said "all".

> Yes. *It's so: **all* "vegans".

No. Counterexamples include me, Derek, Peter Singer, Gary Francione,
and Joan Dunayer. There are no doubt many others.

> >> Of course I have.

> > What is it?

> The common "vegan" fallacy.

Your rational foundation for the assertion is a fallacy?

> >> It is part of my experience and part of the experience of hundreds of
> >> millions of people around the world.

> > Fascinating.

> Not really. *In fact, it's actually a commonplace.

Quite, I was obviously being sarcastic.

> >> No, right: *I answered your question.

> > Yes, you are right. I apologise. You did answer my question. I said
> > "Is that based on some study?" and you said "I believe so", offering
> > not the slightest bit of evidence for your contention.

> I posted links to sites from reputable organizations that are known for
> conducting exactly that type of study. *You don't think your own
> government's official bodies would post that kind of advice based on
> nothing more than the idle speculation of bureaucratic functionaries.
> They do studies - you know they do. *I haven't seen specific studies on
> that topic, but you know they've done them.

> >> This is a well founded belief. *USDA and other food safety
> >> organizations' safe food handling guidelines are based on research.

> > All right, so some studies have been done, and you have no idea what
> > the outcomes of those studies were.

> It is a reasonable assumption that the temperature to which they claim
> chicken should be cooked - 165F - was not arbitrarily chose, but rather
> was chosen because studies showed that there were no detectable living
> salmonella bacteria present in chicken that reached that temperature.

> >> No, I'm right.

> > Yes, actually, you are right, Ball. I apologise, I should be more
> > careful. I did know that studies had been done about the matter and I
> > never wished to suggest otherwise. My claim was that you didn't have
> > any idea what the outcomes of these studies were because you had never
> > read any of them.

> I don't need to have read them. *It is a reasonable inference that the
> recommendations were based on the results of the studies.

> >> No, it's a true statement. *You do not believe I'm an idiot.

> > Of course I believe you're an idiot when

> You don't believe I'm an idiot at all.

Is that really what you think, Ball?

> >> No, it wasn't. *I was talking about the amply demonstrated fact that a
> >> well chosen meat-including diet can easily reduce cruelty even more than
> >> a typically ill-considered "vegan" diet, and then you changed direction
> >> and asked me how to help you give more consideration to your "vegan"
> >> diet. *That's not what you asked earlier.

> > First I wrote

> > "She didn't use the phrase "cruelty free lifestyle". She indicated
> > that she wanted to reduce the amount of cruelty required to support
> > her lifestyle, and from that point of view going vegetarian is a good
> > idea."

> > On that occasion I did not ask any question.

> > Then you wrote " It has been amply demonstrated that a carefully
> > chosen
> > meat-including diet can easily reduce cruelty even more than the
> > typically ill-considered `vegan' diet."

> > I repeatedly asked you to give me more information about the matter,
> > because I take an interest in how to reduce the amount of cruelty
> > required to produce my food,

> No, you don't. *If you did take such an interest, you would have done
> some research to determine which non-animal-based products caused the
> least CDs, but you've never done it.

Yes, I have.

> > and if you had some genuinely helpful
> > suggestions then I would be genuinely interested to know.

> You changed your question. *Cut the shit - you changed it, and you and I
> both know you did.

Yawn.

> >> Ha ha ha ha ha! *What a laughable lie that is!

> > I had a really good laugh when I read this.

> Not a fraction as good as the one I had.

Good to hear.

> >> Oh, it does - it really does!

> > Good.

> Indeed.

> >> Actually, you bullshitted, as you always do on this topic.

> > Wrong.

> Nope; right.

> >> No, I'm right.

> > Much joy may this belief bring you.

> See above.

> >> All of them, you included. *No, you did not know *before* adopting the
> >> silly belief system of "veganism" as an adolescent that there were
> >> collateral animal deaths in agriculture. *You just didn't. *Stop lying
> >> about it.

> > I became a vegan when I was a young adult, not an adolescent. I
> > pondered the question during adolescence and became aware of the
> > collateral deaths argument as the result of listening to a radio
> > program about the issue.

> But until you heard that program, you *began* by thinking that getting
> the animal bits out of your diet meant you didn't cause any harm to animals.

I heard the program when I was an adolescent, many years before I
first went vegetarian.

> >> You are the most egotistical little **** seen in this group since those
> >> two shitwipes Michael Cerkowski and Karen Winter got chased out.

> > Why, Ball, I've never known you to say anything so hurtful.

> It's the truth. *You have a grotesquely inflated opinion of yourself.
> You resemble several extremely arrogant people I've known who make a big
> point of trying to portray themselves as having been precociously aware
> of things at very young ages. *I once had the misfortune to get involved
> with a woman like that, who claimed to have been palling around at age
> 13 or so with people in their mid 20s and even older who treated her as
> a complete social and intellectual peer. *This arrogant self-flattery
> permeated her entire persona. *She really was a ****, in exactly the
> same sense that you are an insufferable little prick.

I was a precocious child, but I don't think that this is an example of
being precocious. It just happens to be the truth, that's all.

> >> No, right. *You were not aware as a snot-nosed teenager of the
> >> phenomenon of animal CDs.

> > Much joy may this belief bring you.

> See above.

> >> *NO* "vegan" makes any effort at all to do that. *The *only* effort any
> >> of them makes is to ensure there are no animal bits in their plates.

> > Wrong.

> Nope - I'm right. *That's all any of them do. *It's all *you* have ever
> done - you admitted it.

False.

> >> Bullshit. *That's an empty and lame rationalization for doing nothing.

> > I didn't do nothing.

> You've done nothing.

Wrong.

> *You've done nothing because you don't care.
> You've taken that one empty, meaningless step that you think allows you
> to exalt yourself over those who consume animal parts, and that's all
> you ever thought you needed to do.

> >> None do - not one.

> > Wrong.

> Nope; I'm right. *You know it, too.

> >> None have - not one.

> > Wrong.

> No; right.

> >> By measuring and then picking the least-harm foods. *But no one has done
> >> that.

> > It's not possible to get reliable information about which are the
> > least-harm foods

> It takes some effort. *You don't want to expend any effort. *You're the
> sort of smug, arrogant, self-satisfied little prick who thinks your
> sanctimony is all that is required.

How do you know, Ball? Have you looked into this yourself, have you?

I'm at a bit of a loss to know what your point is. You don't care
enough about animals to stop eating meat. I do. For some reason you
want to make a big deal out of the alleged fact that I "haven't tried
hard enough" to find the least-harm plant foods. Why? Why exactly
would it be so important to you to insist on this point?

> >> It isn't. *It's worthless. *They might be choosing not only a diet that
> >> causes more harm than a perfectly plausible meat-including diet,

> > No,

> Yes.

That is an unargued and false assertion.

> >> but also one that causes more harm than another easily followed meat-free
> >> diet. *Because they make no effort to measure, they just don't know, and
> >> *THEREFORE* they are not entitled to make any claim about the harm their
> >> diet causes.

> > I am entitled to make the claims which I make about my diet.

> You aren't.
>
> > They are grounded in evidence.

> They aren't. *They're grounded in nothing but egotism and wishful thinking.

No, that's false. I have provided the evidence and you have done
nothing to undermine it.

> >> It is *precisely* because you don't care, you arrogant self-righteous ****.

> > Wrong.

> Nope. *I'm right.

> >> No, I'm right, and you know it, too.

> > Much joy may this belief bring you.

> See above, you snotty little do-nothing prick.
>
> How's the telemarketing work going, by the way?

I worked for Positive Response Telemarketing Agency for a month or so
in 2007, you weirdo. Since then I did two years of teaching at Sino-
British College in Shanghai, a lectureship at Australian Catholic
University, lecturing and tutoring at Sydney University, and am now
doing a post-doctoal position at the Unviersity of Münster. You're a
bit behind the times.