Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default The 'vegan' shuffle

On 2 Mrz., 16:28, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/2/2012 3:42 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> Because refraining from consuming animal bits doesn't say anything about
> >> the number of animals harmed by what you do consume.

> > Why not?

> How would it?

Most animal products are produced on factory farms which cause a lot
of suffering. Also, most animal products require more collateral
deaths from plant-based agriculture in order to produce the same
amount of protein than would be required by simply growing plant-based
food and feeding it directly to humans.

Therefore, it would seem to be a pretty good rule of thumb that
someone who only buys the products of plant-based agriculture is
likely to be requiring significantly less suffering and premature
death in order to produce the food they eat than someone who eats
animal products.