Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science

Default What to eat

On 3/2/2012 3:58 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On 1 Mrz., 17:34, George > wrote:

>>> The fact that billions of people eat it without falling ill does not
>>> mean there are not serious health concerns with it

>> Actually, it does show that.

It shows it. You know it does. It shows that there are no serious
health concerns with the *consumption* of chicken per se.

>>> Then it should be possible for you to show me just one place where it
>>> has been shown.

>> You go back and read some of my posts on it. You'll see it there.
>>

> Where do I find these posts?

In a newsgroup that is well known to you. That newsgroup is called
alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian, and it is carried by virtually all major
commercial Usenet services. I believe you are already familiar with it.

>>> Your mind-reading skills are amazing

>> No mind-reading needed. It's the fundamental assumption of all
>> so-called "ethical" vegetarians.

> Wrong.

Nope. It's right. You know it is. I know that you know it, too.

>> What do you think the sappy trolling
>> bitch meant when she wrote,
>>
>> I have always hated the cruelty that "food animals" were subjected to.
>>

> I think she meant just what she said.

Yes, and she believes that by not eating "food animals" [sic], she is
avoiding all responsibility for any cruelty to animals. That's what she
believes, and you know it.

>> Her entire post, in fact, is an inauthentic troll - it reeks.

>>> Is that based on some study?

>> I believe so.
>>
>> http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...Cooking-Temper...
>>

> This source makes clear that considerable precautions have to be taken
> to reduce the risk of illness, and it does not specify to what level
> the risk is reduced.

Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't give any coherent meaning to "considerable."
In fact, the precautions are absurdly easy. I give virtually no
thought to them when preparing chicken, they are so easy - it's
virtually automatic.

Anyway, you snarky little shit, I answered your question: I believe
studies have been done to measure the amount of salmonella contamination
to which one might be exposed if one follows the precautions. Actually,
you already knew that studies had been done, and we all know that you
knew it.

>>> You're an idiot

>> No, and you don't believe it, anyway.
>>

> Yes, you are an idiot

No, you don't believe that.

>>> Well, I would be interested to hear more about that.

>> You've heard all about it numerous times from Dutch, from me and from
>> others right here.
>>

> I'd be most appreciative if you would remind me. What practical steps
> can I take to reduce the amount of suffering caused in order to
> produce the food I eat?

That's not what you were asking above.

>>> Ipse dixit.

>> *AREN'T* you just the scholar, now?
>>

> I am a scholar because

You're not a scholar.

>>> It's not a belief system.

>> It is a belief system.

> Wrong.

No, I'm right.

> It is a practice.

It is a belief system that is manifested in a practice that does not
lead to the claimed result.

>> It's the belief that if one doesn't consume
>> animal bits, one doesn't harm animals.

> Possibly some vegans believe that,

*ALL* "vegans" start by believing it. You did.

> But that's
> neither here nor there. Plenty of vegans are fully aware that plant-
> based agriculture harms animals;

They were aware of it *after* they ran their mouths and got put in their
place by informed omnivores.

> for example I myself have been aware of the fact since adolescence,

You were *not* aware of it from the outset. You adopted the silly
belief system of "veganism", ran your mouth to try to demonstrate your
fake moral superiority, then got told.

>> That's a belief, and a fallacious one at that.
>>
>> For the overwhelming majority of "vegans" - and you know this - that's
>> as far as it goes. They assume, incorrectly, that because they aren't
>> consuming animal bits, they therefore aren't causing any animal harm.
>> When an exceptionally foolish "vegan" tries to assert this with much
>> more knowledgeable and logical omnivores, they retreat to the equally
>> false position of "least harm", but then it is shown that they have
>> never measured the harm caused - *never* - and that even *within* a
>> "vegan" diet and<scoff> "lifestyle", they may not be causing the least
>> possible harm, let alone less than all consumption regimens that include
>> animal products.
>>

> Plenty of vegans can reasonably claim that, given the information
> available to them and the limited resources they have to invest in
> gathering further information, they have made the rational choice with
> respect to trying to reduce the amount of suffering caused by their
> diet, given that they are not going to make extreme sacrifices such as
> dropping out of society and growing all their own food.

*NO* "vegan" is entitled to make that claim plausibly. You didn't read
what I wrote, you ****ing imbecile. I said that even *within* the whole
set of "vegan" diets, they make no effort - *ZERO* - to choose the
least-harm diet. They have never measured, and they don't even look for
information from someone who might have measured. They haven't even
thought about it. They simply assume, with no basis for it, that not
consuming any animal bits necessarily means that what they *do* consume
is the least-harm basket of consumption goods, and that assumption is
false. There are innumerable combinations of goods for consumption that
contain no animal bits, and simply picking one more or less at random
does not guarantee that it's the least-harm combination from the entire
population. No "vegan", for example, has *EVER* done an analysis to
determine which of wheat or maize is the lower CD-causing grain. THEY
DON'T CARE.

>> No, "veganism" is nothing but an empty and fallacy-based belief system.
>> This has been demonstrated to you more times right here in a.a.e.v.
>> than you could possibly count.

> You've demonstrated absolutely no such thing

I have demonstrated exactly what I said: "veganism" is an empty,
fallacy-based belief system.