Old 02-03-2012, 03:14 AM posted to rec.food.historic
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default avoiding sassafras

I have been wanting to make root beer (or sarsaparilla, or birch
beer, or some similar thing), but I don't want to take a chance
with sassafras, which may be carcinogenic. Every recipe I have
seen for these things contains sassafras. Even sarsaparilla
extracts/essences usually turn out to be sassafras for some reason
that I don't comprehend. Does anyone here have a tried and true
recipe for making such a beverage (or for an extract to make one)
that doesn't contain sassafras? If so, I'd love to try it.

Thanks,
--
Jean B.