Paul E. Lehmann

Default vinegar making

Joe Sallustio wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand adding water, some good vinegars are made
> from partially raisined grapes, others boil the must to concentrate it
> a bit. The goal is not necessarily a 'dry' vinegar in those cases
> though, they have a residual sweetness to them; they age them quite a
> while also.

Joe, a couple months ago I bought some mother of vinegar and added it to
some of my red wine and white wine. I have a gallon of each. Prior to
adding the vinegar, I added about 2 cups of water to the wine to dilute it
a bit since I heard that the mother culture might not like a high alcohol
to start with. So far nothing. There is a hint of vinegar to both but no
more than when I added the mother culture. Any ideas why it is not
working? I have it on the porch and far away from my wine cellar. I have
the top of the jugs stuffed with paper towels so air can get in. It is
pretty bad when a home winemaker can't even make vinegar.