Joe Sallustio

Default vinegar making

I'm pretty sure that's how true balsamic's are made, they ferment and
infect the must at the same time. I have no experience with any of
this so can't speak on the process.

I'm not sure I understand adding water, some good vinegars are made
from partially raisined grapes, others boil the must to concentrate it
a bit. The goal is not necessarily a 'dry' vinegar in those cases
though, they have a residual sweetness to them; they age them quite a
while also.

Adding 1 part water, 1 part vinegar to two parts wine is common if you
want to end up with around 5% acetic acid vinegar. That's typically
how I make mine, most of my wine is 12% alcohol v/v. I really don't
use store bought vinegar anymore since making my own, it really does
taste better. I only use store bought for pickling since it's really
cheap.
Regards,
Joe