Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
dh@. dh@. is offline

Default What to eat

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 19:39:12 -0500, ToolPackinMama >
wrote:

>My favorite food used to be chicken. recently, while I was preparing
>chicken for my family, I had an epiphany.
>
>I was handling the chicken parts with great caution. I had vinyl gloves
>on, and I was working hard to keep the process sanitary. I am aware of
>how unclean chicken meat generally is.
>
>It suddenly struck me: "If I believe this has to be handled like toxic
>waste, why am I feeding it to my family!?"

It's not that way with "meat". It's that way with *some* meat. Notice that
it's that way with meat from omnivores, which we are. So it makes sense that
there is a danger of exchanging microbes that can thrive in the bodies of
omnivores if you eat the bodies of omnivores without doing something to kill
those particular microbes. Notice that it's a danger in pork and chicken which
are both omnivores, and not in beef and fish because their systems are too
different. But the good part is that if you kill the microbes which is simple
enough, then the meat is good for you and your family.

>It hit me like a bolt of lightning: I believe that meat is unwholesome,
>so why am I still eating it, and serving it to others!?

Just make sure you kill the microbes which also results in better tasting
meat. No one likes rare chicken, and though rare pork tastes awesome it can make
a person horribly sick. So cook it.

>I have always hated the cruelty that "food animals" were subjected to.
>I had to not think about it, to be able to eat meat at all. Well, I am
>thinking about it now, and it makes the thought of meat even more repugnant.

Broiler chickens and their parents are not kept in little cages and the vast
majority of them get to enjoy lives of positive value, imo. The same is true of
cage free laying hens in general so if you buy cage free eggs you are supporting
a system which deliberately tries to provide lives of positive value for laying
hens. There's reason to feel good about doing that, not reason to feel bad about
it. There's reason to feel bad about buying battery cage eggs though especially
if you could get cage free simply by spending more money. Not only does buying
cage free eggs and whatever other animal friendly products deliberately
contribute to lives of positive value for livestock animals, but it also puts
you in the position of deliberately contributing to a more considerate type of
society and thinking in general. Notice that it's a level of consideration and
participation that eliminationists do NOT want other people to intentionally
rise to because it works AGAINST their selfish and lowly elimination objective.

>OK! The solution seems simple: vegetarianism.

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
in order to be successful:

tires, paper, upholstery, floor waxes, glass, water
filters, rubber, fertilizer, antifreeze, ceramics, insecticides,
insulation, linoleum, plastic, textiles, blood factors, collagen,
heparin, insulin, solvents, biodegradable detergents, herbicides,
gelatin capsules, adhesive tape, laminated wood products,
plywood, paneling, wallpaper and wallpaper paste, cellophane
wrap and tape, abrasives, steel ball bearings

being vegan.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised