Posted to rec.food.cooking
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Quaker Oats cooking directions

On Feb 25, 11:55*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 25/02/2012 2:30 PM, Gary wrote:
>

> > Dave Smith wrote:

> >> On 25/02/2012 1:25 PM, Gary wrote:
> >> water... for thinner oatmeal use more water.

> >> I know how to cook oats. I have been cooking them for years. My issue
> >> was with the confusion of the instructions. *I have always cooked large
> >> flake for 15 minutes or more, unlike the quick cooking stuff.

> > I have no idea what you're talking about with "large flake."

> Go to this link and click on Large Flake
>
> http://pepsico.ca/en/brands/Quaker.h...-Quake-Oats_fb
>
> > Plain Quaker Oats is nothing but "rolled oats."

> There are different sizes.
>
> > I also buy plain rolled oats at the
> > local healthfood store to replace the Quaker (a bit cheaper by buying in
> > bulk).

> I usually get my oats at the Bulk Barn where all oats are 79 cents per
> pound.... instant, *quick cooking, large flake or steel cut. * I wasn't
> going to be near the Bulk Barn so I got them at the grocery store. *They
> had some specialty brands for as much as $4 per pound, and there is no
> way I am paying that much for oatmeal with a folksy looking package. I
> picked up the Quaker large flake for $3.49 for one kg. *Today we had to
> go to the bank and I stopped by the Bulk Barn for the rice I had
> forgotten, and there was the oatmeal for half the price of Quaker.
>
> > These are not the quick cooking one-minute nonsense.
> > These are plain rolled oats. *You cook them for 5 minutes. I have NEVER
> > heard of cooking rolled oats for 15 minutes or more. *WTH? *Are you
> > mistakenly talking about rice?

> Trust me... the large flake takes almost as long as steel cut.

"Large Flake Oats" is a Canajen thing; I wouldn't understand. But I
found the straight poop on Quaker Canada's Facebook page:

In Canada, we offer four different types of rolled oats or oatmeal;
Large Flake, Quick, One Minute and Instant (in the individual
packets). All varieties are 100% Whole Grain, meaning, all three
parts of the grain, the bran, the endosperm and the germ remain
intact.

Large Flake Oats are made by rolling the whole grain. Quick Oats are
made by cutting the grain in half, then rolling it. The flakes are
slightly smaller and thinner which allows them to cook more quickly.
One Minute Oats have been cut into smaller pieces and are rolled
thinner still, and cook very quickly. These products contain only
100% whole grain rolled oats, and have the same nutritional benefits.
Large Flake, Quick and One Minute oats would all be suitable for
baking.

Now, here in A-may-reeka, Quaker makes Old Fashioned Oats, as well as
1 Minute Oats. Old Fashioned Oats are whole oats. So why do whole
rolled oats take 15 minutes to cook in Canada but only 5 minutes south
of the border? I suspect the oats are rolled thinner here, so that the
boiling water penetrates the grain quicker.