Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Lasagna mess!

Evelyn > wrote:
: On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 15:45:44 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
: > wrote:

: >Evelyn > wrote:
: >: On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:05:38 -0600, BlueBrooke
: >: >
: >: >It was already in the oven before I saw this, but it's all good. It
: >: >came out awesome -- even with the eggs, which I almost didn't use.
: >: >
: >: >This is definitely going to be on Sweetie's "home-cooked meal" list.
: >: >:-)
: >
: >
: >: The eggs make ALL the difference. They cause the ricotta cheese to
: >: firm up during the baking process. Otherwise you just end up with
: >: mush. I tried it without once when I was out of eggs, and the cheese
: >: separated and got a bit watery. It wasn't inedible or anything like
: >: that, but it just wasn't as nice a dish.
: >
: >: Evelyn
: >
: >So essentially you are making a custard, rather like the Sicilian
: >cheesecake I "diabeticized" to coin a work, some years ago. Mostly
: >ricotta sweetener, eggs, and orange (lots of rind) for flavoring. I must
: >dig up my old recipe and I will post it if i find it.
: >
: >Wendy

: That sounds like the famous ricotta pie that so many Italians (and me)
: love. But the lasagna is savory, not sweet.... and it can be made
: with or without meat or vegetables or none, as you wish.

: Evelyn

Of course it's savory. there are sweet and savory custards all over the
lot. It ws the ricota/egg combo that caught my eye.

Wendy