Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Burgs, Nahe, Rhone, Tuscany, Campania

Since we knew Monday wasn't meatless I decided Sunday could be, while
Betsy played the opening matinee for Prima Donna I made a lasagna with
mushrooms and spinach, a potato/asparagus soup, and prepped broccoli
for roasting. She finished dinner while I ran her bows up to
Chappaqua, we sat down to a nice dinner and the 2007 Pacalet Gevrey-
Chambertin. Bright red fruits, lively, earth and a little dead leaf
aroma. Medium-bodied, intensely earth (though I'm not sure I would
have gone towards Gevrey if blind). Quite enjoyable, especially
knowing it wasn't at usual Pacalet premium. B+/A-

On Monday we took the dog and went over to friends' home for a dinner
of spaghetti with red sauce loaded with meatballs, sausage, and
braciole; there was also salad and Vidalia onions in white vinegar.
And, of course, a few wines

2010 La Vieille Ferme Blanc
Ron was ambivalent about this, but I consider this a real rarity- a $7
wine that can hold one's interest. Hay, earth, citrus, apple, decent
acidity, not long but at price quite good. B

2006 Mustilli "Cesco di Nece" Aglianico (Sant' Agata dei Goti)
Quite masculine, *dense dark fruits and tar. B

2004 Fontodi Chianti Classico
Black cherry, cedar, leather, still a touch of tannins, but drinking
well overall. B+/B

Tuesday with butter/herb salmon, brown rice and nori, and spinach, the
2008 Brocard "Valmur" Chablis Grand Cru. Good acids, minerally, but
really so tight that hard to get a handle on. Next night more lemony,
chalky minerals, good length, but hint of oxidation starting. I should
have re-tried at 8 AM. ? on night one, B+ on night two.

Wednesday we went to Gem Cuisines, started with Sichuan chicken
pouches and tiny clams in a tangerine/black bean sauce, then shared
chicken with two vinegars,red braised prawns with baby bok choy, and
snow pea leaves with mushrooms. $10 corkage, with good stems, and we
enjoyed the 2007 Schafer FrohlichBockenauer Felseneck Spatlese
GoldKapsel. Initiallytight but opens nicely. Big but with a solid core
of electric acid, apple and tropical fruits overlying green herbs and
mineral,
Like the 2009, a very good wine. B+/A-