Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog[_2_] Anders Tørneskog[_2_] is offline

Default TN: Rudesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spatlese 1976 Staatsweinguter

"cwdjrxyz" > skrev i melding ...
On Feb 19, 12:48 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Nice notes.
> Is there one that more state winery in Rheingau- Verwaltung der Staatsweinguter doesn't look familiar, though I know I have had wines from state winery?

-The English translation of "Verwaltung der Staatsweinguter, Eltville"
-means that the wine is produced by the State Wine Domain which is
-located in Eltville. The question then becomes if there are other
-State Domains in the Rheingau than the one at Eltville.

It is a bit more complicated... Firstly "Verwaltung" means "Management" and Staatsweingüter is a plural...
From 1918 to 1998 this above organization (named so in 1939), located in Eltville, was responsible for the state wineries (Domäneweingüter) at Assmannshausen, Hattenheim-Erbach, Hochheim, Rüdesheim-Eibingen, Steinberg and the state bottlers at Kloster Eberbach, Hochheim, Rüdesheim and Wiesbaden. By 1978 the new cellars at Eltville replaced several of the other bottling operations. (Domänekellereien)

So by 1998 this was renamed Hessische Staatsweingüter GmbH Kloster Eberbach with a goal of becoming a commercially viable operation, now comprising the state wineries of Assmannshausen, Rüdesheim, Steinberg-Hattenheim, Rauenthal (Rauenthal und Wiesbadener Neroberg), Hochheim, Bensheim und Kloster Eberbach. The Kloster Eberbach by itself was made a foundation with a goal of maintaining the historical buildings and using them for public benefit as well as for the state wineries.

And yes, there are others in other states -
Fürstliches Castell'sches Domänenamt in Franconia
Gut Hermannsberg (used to be Staatliche Weinbaudomäne Niederhausen-Schloßböckelheim) in Nahe
Sächsisches Staatsweingut Schloss Wackerbarth in Saxonia
Staatlicher Hofkeller Würzburg in Franconia
Staatliche Weinbaudomäne Oppenheim in Rhineland-Palatinate
Staatliche Weinbaudomäne Trier in Mosel
Staatsweingut Bad Kreuznach in Nahe
Staatsweingut Freiburg in Baden
Staatsweingut Meersburg in Bodensee
Staatsweingut Mosel in Bernkastel
Staatsweingut mit Johannitergut Neustadt-Mußbach a.d. Weinstraße in Rhineland-Palatinate Staatsweingut Weinsberg in Baden
Weinbaudomäne Schloss Johannisberg in Rheingau

The Staatsweingut Mosel in Bernkastel puzzles me, I've been in Bernkastel several times and never heard of it... :-) Go to do something about that!

Anders