Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 22 year old Cali Semillon, plus several Oregon wines

Friday was local non-serious wine group's meeting, this month's theme being Oregon Pinot Noir. Alex had duck and rabbit pates as well as nice cheese and salamis, later in the evening Hilary graced us with her presence and some nice moules.

All wines were blind

White #1- offtheme, I had opened this for dinner and decided to carry over and offer a prize (bottle of wine) to closest guess. We played 10 questions, and then everyone made their guesses. Before guesses it had been determined that it was from Califiornia, more than 10 years of age (not original assumption), and it wasn't Chardonnay. No one got variety, Roger won the prize by only missing vintage by 4 years -his 1986 Sauvignon Blanc guess was closest to 1990 Cline Semillon. Round, fat, some lactic and vanilla notes, but fresh fruit and amazing color that didn't budge over 5 hours. Not really my style, but pretty amazing for 22 year old version of what I guess was a cheap wine. B-

White #2 - Alex had as opener, we knew Oregon PG based on theme. Good acids, nice balance, clean floral and white fruit. I quite like this. 2010 Montinore Pinot Gris. B/B+

Red #1 - I jumped up to grab my bottle and pass it first once the Montinore PG was unveiled. Cranberry, raspberry, maybe a hint of spritz. Lighter style. Most people liked, as I did, but I didn't think it very "Burgundian" as a blurb had called it. 2010 Montinore Pinot Noir. B

Red #2- good acids, black cherry fruit, I enjoy this. 2010 Evening Land Pinot Noir (Willamette). B/B+

Red # 3- light to medium bodied, rounded, quite flat on the finish with a pruney edge. My least favorite of night, though it might be storage knowing what store it came from. 2008 Erath Pinot Noir. C+

Red #4 - riper styled, macerated cherries, but some acidity to keep lively. I'm surprised when it is revealed, not having liked 2006. 2007 Stringtown Pinot Noir. B

Red #5 Popular with some, cherry fruit with cola and vanilla notes, a bit sweet for me. 2010 Solena "Grand Cuvee" Pinot Noir. B-/C+

Red #6 - Crunchy red fruits, medium bodied, nice length, my WOTN. No one guessed it was one we had tried earlier, several hours of air made a big difference (by end of night #1 tasted same). This I could see being called Burgundian. 2010 Montinore Pinot Noir B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.