Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Farm Raised Trout?

On 18/02/2012 2:26 PM, merryb wrote:
> I was at the grocery store yesterday, and took a peek at the seafood
> counter. I was surprised (not in a good way) to see farm raised trout.
> They were almost white- kinda albino looking. They looked extremely
> unappetizing! I do not buy farmed fish, but have never seen these
> before. I guess they were white because of what they are fed?

I would be more surprised to see wild trout that farm raised. I buy it
once in a while and it is usually pretty good. There used to be a trout
farm about two miles north of my house. I once went there for trout.
The owner needed, dispatched and cleaned them and they were stuffed and
in the oven within about two hours.

FWIW.... I think trout tastes much better when coming from cold water
than warm. Warm water trout tends to have a muddy taste.