Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally[_2_] Kate Connally[_2_] is offline

Default dinner this week and recipe

I haven't made if for a while. I entered it in the McGinnis
Sisters (local gourmet grocery) Souper Bowl Contest. You send
in the recipe and they choose the finalists who then make their
soup and bring it to the store on Super Bowl Sunday to be tasted
and judge by a panel of judges. 2 years ago I was the 3rd
place winner with my Hungarian Sauerkraut Soup. (Shoulda been
first, though. That soup is *awesome.) I didn't get
anything this year. Hmpf. What do they know about good soup
anyway. :-( So after that I had to make it as I was getting
very hungry for it. Here's the recipe.

POZOLE
(Jaliscan Hominy Soup)

3 lb. country-style spareribs
2 T. lard or vegetable oil
1 c. finely chopped white onion
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. cumin seeds, crushed
3 cans condensed chicken broth
3 cans water
1 can (29 oz.) hominy
fresh or bottled tomato salsa
shredded iceberg lettuce
sliced radishes
sliced green onions
lime wedges

Trim fat from spareribs. Brown ribs in lard in 6-7 quart Dutch oven
over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, 30-40
minutes. Remove ribs from pan. Add onion to pan; saute over medium
heat until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, salt, oregano, and cumin;
saute 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, water, and spareribs to pan. Heat
over medium heat to boiling; reduce heat to very low. Simmer, covered,
until ribs are tender, 2-2½ hours. Remove spareribs to plate; let stand
until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard fat
and bones from ribs. Break meat into large chunks; return to soup.
Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or overnight. Prepare salsa, if making
fresh. Remove and discard fat from top of soup. Stir in hominy. Heat
over medium heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 30
minutes. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Pass lettuce, radishes,
green onions, lime wedges, and salsa to be added according to
individual taste. Serve with warm corn tortillas.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”