Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog[_2_] Anders Tørneskog[_2_] is offline

Default Wineries on Waiheke Island

I see that Hunter Valley is a 2hrs drive from Sydney and that there are at
least 142 wineries there, so you should easily find something for you.
Anders

"lleichtman" > skrev i melding
On Feb 12, 4:37 am, Yves > wrote:
> Hi... and sorry for not having contributed actively to this NG for some
> time, but I think your advice on the following topic will be useful:
>
> My wife and I will be touring the North Island of NZ. We will start with
> a few days of dolce far niente on Waiheke. 23 wine estates... so we
> won't spend four days just snorkeling!
>
> Any clues about the wineries to visit (and those to skip) would be
> greatly appreciated - as most are unknown in Europe (I imagine they can
> easily get rid of their production in the Auckland area).
>
> My limited knowledge of kiwi wines tells me that almost everyone makes a
> good Sauvignon, but are there remarkable producers of Shiraz or Bordeaux
> blends on Waiheke?
>
> Would also be happy with some restaurant recommendations!
>
> All the best & thanks
>
> Yves

We will be in New Zealand February 2013 but on a cruise around the
country so may have more limited time to see wineries though will be
trying to get to as many as possible with day trips. Also don't know
how many wineries are short trips from Sydney as we will be there 3
days.