Posted to alt.food.wine
st.helier[_3_] st.helier[_3_] is offline

Default Wineries on Waiheke Island

"greybeard" wrote .

> Waiheke's best wines are bordeaux blends and syrahs.
> Chardonnay probably best of the whites, although some nice
> viognier examples.
> Many of the wineries have their own restaurants, and are some
> of the most popular and most recommended on the island.
> Pricing is somewhat high.

I agree with Greybeard's assessment.

This is a great resource -
http://www.waihekewine.co.nz/Islando...Vineyards.aspx

Waiheke Island is an extremely popular weekend or day visit for
Aucklanders - it is an easy half hour ferry trip from downtown Auckland.

The (passenger) ferry arrives at Matiatia on the extreme western end of the
island.

There are buses available, but distances are not too difficult if you feel
like cycling.

I usually bring my car on the vehicular ferry, some might say laziness - I
prefer the convenience.

"Goldies" used to be the renowned Goldwater Estate before the owners sold
the brand, and gifted the estate on the island to the University of
Auckland.

--
st.helier