Posted to rec.food.cooking
Judy Haffner Judy Haffner is offline

Default Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

Jim wrote:

>Just curious- how many egg whites does
> it take?

>I have 2 recipes- one takes 1 cup of
> whites [8-10 eggs], the other takes 1 1/2
> cups.

>Can't say I like either better than the
> other-- I use whichever one
>feels right that day.

If you are referring to the cake mix, it doesn't call for eggs. You only
add water and beat 1 minute, after it's moistened.

When I would make them myself, I used a dozen eggs, and always held my
breath that the separation of the whites and yolks were perfect, as one
teeny drop of egg yolk in with the whites..a person is "sunk" for
having them whip up properly and achieving 100% success.

Judy