Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Sacher torte

On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:14:29 -0700, gloria p >
wrote:

>I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
>extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a "premium"
>recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
>and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want
>to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
>"free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
>sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
>14 days.)
>
>Does anyone have it to share?
>
>gloia p

This is the only one I see and it is marked "Premium," as it is also
on the CI subscriber pages. Hope this is it.

Frankly, these *******s have gotten a ton of money out of me over the
years and screwed me on various subscriptions by front-loading them
with 2-3 month old issues before sending the current one.

Enjoy!

Boron

Published January 10, 2007.

Serves 8 to 10

This cake stores very well in an airtight container or under a glass
cake dome in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. The cake texture
becomes slightly more dense and the overall flavor more intense after
at least 6 hours in the refrigerator. Bring the cake to room
temperature before serving with whipped cream and, according to
tradition, a cup of strong coffee.
Ingredients

Filling
1jar apricot jam (18 ounces, about 1 1/3 cups)
Glaze
1/2cup heavy cream
2tablespoons light corn syrup
4ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
1recipe Chocolate Génoise , cooled and split in half according to
illustrations below (see related recipe)

Instructions

1. For the filling: Process apricot jam in food processor until
smooth, about 10 seconds. Transfer to small saucepan and bring to
simmer, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Remove from heat and
cool to room temperature.

2. For the glaze: Combine cream and corn syrup in medium saucepan
and bring to full simmer over medium heat. Off heat, add chocolate;
cover and let stand for 8 minutes. (If chocolate has not completely
melted, return saucepan to low heat and stir constantly until melted.)
Add vanilla; stir very gently until mixture is smooth. Cool until
tepid so that spoonful drizzled back into the pan mounds slightly.

3. To assemble the torte: Invert top layer of cake onto cardboard
round cut just larger than diameter of cake. Using offset spatula,
spread 1/2 cup of apricot jam evenly over cake. Invert second layer of
cake over first. Place cake and cardboard round on wire rack that has
been set on large rimmed baking sheet. Pour remaining apricot jam on
top of cake and, using offset spatula, spread jam over edges and along
sides of cake. Allow excess jam to fall off sides of cake onto baking
sheet. Refrigerate cake on wire rack set on baking sheet until apricot
jam is set, about 30 minutes.

4. Pour chocolate glaze on top of cake. Using offset spatula,
spread glaze evenly over top of cake and spread it along sides of
cake. Refrigerate cake, still on rack set over baking sheet, until
set, at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours. Transfer cake to a large
platter and serve.

Step-by-Step

Leveling and Splitting Cake Layers

If cake has mounded in the center, it should be leveled before being
split. If the cake has baked up flat, skip step 1.

1. Gently press one hand on cake. Holding long serrated knife
parallel to work surface, use steady sawing motion to slice off
mounded top.

2. Measure height of cake and cut small incision into side of cake
with paring knife to mark midpoint. Repeat around circumference of
cake.

3. Slowly spin cake away from you while pulling long serrated
knife toward you and connection incisions made in step 2. You want to
score, not slice, cake.

4. Following markings, cut deeper and deeper into cake in same
manner as step 3. Gradually move knife close to center with each
rotation until cake is split.