Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ross@home Ross@home is offline

Default Limburger - yikes - 15.99/lb ++

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 15:49:06 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Feb 6, 2:57*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>> I'm thinking of adding this to my luxury grocery items list. *Used to
>> be a quick, *fall-back-on meal, on an English, with onion. *Def. NOT
>> to be eaten before any socializing, of course.
>>
>> My supermkt finally repriced the cream cheese. *For months, they had
>> the 1 lb. vat priced higher per pound than the 8 ouncer. *I noticed
>> they also marked down the diCecco. *Must've gotten near the pull
>> date. *I'm waiting for them to put in on clearance and then.....dis
>> kid will stock up.

>Limburger here (at the Waterloo/St. Jacob's Market) is still $6.00 per
>pound.

That must be discounted Oak Grove limburger at that price. We recently
bought some right at the factory in New Hamburg and it was $7.85/lb.
Unfortunately, it's not the greatest limburger in the world.
The best limburger I ever had was Baden XXX brand, in the silver foil
wrapper, made in Baden, Ontario. But, as so often happens, they were
bought out by ***-Lea in about '84 and not long after Baden XXX was
discontinued.
Halali is about all you find in stores these days. It's not bad but it
runs from $5.99 to $7.99 for a 180 gram block.
Never mind Yikes $15.99/lb. I'd gladly pay $20 for a pound of the real
Baden XXX if it were still around today.
Oh, for a Baden XXX limburger and Spanish onion sandwich, they were
even on the menu at The Queen's Hotel in Wellesley.

Ross