Posted to rec.food.cooking
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Peanut oil appearance

On Feb 3, 9:45*am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Felice wrote:
>
> > For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
> > from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
> > know, like oil!

> > This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
> > Stop & Ship via Peapod *delivery service. and it is markedly
> > different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.

> > I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
> > different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
> > batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have never seen anything other than golden peanut oil, whether
Planters, Hollywood, or house brand.

> It's probably peanut oil in its natural form.
> Planter's may have been a "winterized" oil,
> i.e. oil that has been chilled and filtered
> to remove the part which solidifies first
> at low temperatures.
>
> Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
> compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
> much lower than coconut oil). *This makes it a
> good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
> your arteries).

This is bullshit. Compared to olive oil, 100 grams of peanut oil has
just three more grams of saturated fat. The big advantage of peanut
oil is its percentage of monounsaturated fat, second only to olive
oil, and 50 to 100% more than other vegetable oils.