Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Peanut oil appearance (never mind!)

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:53:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:50:57 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> Or heck, the Bertolli was just $1 more per liter. I'll probably do
>>> that.

>> I'm deeply suspicious of Bertolli olive oil.
>> Years ago, I used to keep my olive oil in the
>> refrigerator, and generally a large proportion
>> would become semi-solid. Bertolli was unusual
>> in that the proportion was much smaller. It
>> just didn't behave the way I expected pure olive
>> oil to behave. That's what made me suspicious.

>Fortunately, I don't give your opinions any credit. If anything, it
>has made me want to buy it even more.
>
>Sheldon, what do YOU think of Bertolli EVOO?

Bertolli is a decent EVOO, but it's not consistant. I most often buy
Goya EVOO, from Spain... never been disappointed. For cooking I buy
EVOO from Walmart, it's inexpensive and works fine for rubbing a
roast, pan frying pork chops etc., and for seasoned salad dressings.
But for drizzling on a composed salad or on bread I prefer Goya. I
see no point in using primo olive oils vinaigrettes, that's like using
top shelf booze for mixed drinks. I'm not fond of Italian EVOO, I've
bought some pricy estate oils and they sucked. I'm sure most Italian
EVOO are blends and otherwise misrepresented. With Italian food
products of all kinds you're mostly paying for fancy schmancy
packaging... they do have the nicest looking tins and bottles. I
think most Italian table cheeses are way over rated too, their grating
cheeses are fine but not their table cheeses... other than mozz,
provolone, and gorgonzola the rest are not memorable. I think most
Italian style food products made in the US, especially sausage and
other cured meat, is better. Even the dago red fermented in Brooklyn
basements is better than anything bottled in Italy. And there is no
good seafood in the warm waters of the Med. And no one brews worse
coffee than an Italian, they should be forbidden to touch coffee
beans. If you want good coffee, that's one thing a-rabs can do well.
Italians are good bakers, they make good bread and their pastries are
far better than anthing made by the French. One would think the
French should have great olive oils but we never hear about it.
Nowadays the best olive oil is from California.