Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Peanut oil appearance

Felice wrote:

> For the years I used Planters peanut oil (until it seemed to disappear
> from the shelves) it had always been clear, yellow and liquid. You
> know, like oil!
>
> This week I ordered a house brand (they didn't have Planters) from
> Stop & Ship via Peapod delivery service. and it is markedly
> different: almost opaque, milky white, and viscous.
>
> I'm hesitant to open it. Is this is a "new improved" product? Is the
> different appearance due to a new processing method? Or is it bad
> batch? Can anyone shed any light on this?

It's probably peanut oil in its natural form.
Planter's may have been a "winterized" oil,
i.e. oil that has been chilled and filtered
to remove the part which solidifies first
at low temperatures.

Note that peanut oil is high in saturated fat
compared to most other vegetable oils (but still
much lower than coconut oil). This makes it a
good frying oil, but it's atherogenic (bad for
your arteries).