View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Champagne, Rhone, Bdx, Piedmont, Chile, and Spain

On Jan 24, 1:11*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Last night Tim hosted SOBER, and we made our way to Stamford on a wet and foggy night. He greeted us with straight from the oven gougeres, and the 1996 Dom Perignon. Full, solid acids, elegant mousse, nice length, I don't care how much they make this is fine Champagne. A-
>
> To table, for the blind wines:
>
> First flight (with an assortment *of cheeses- a Buffalo, a goat, a smoked Blue, Humboldt Fog, Sottocenere, a Spanish sheep's milk, and at least one other I'm forgetting)
> First guess was Italian, then Mark guessed Rhone, where upon John immediately said first Northern, second CdP, when confirmed then Hermitage for first.
>
> Red #1 -dark fruit, smoke, a little animal note. B+/A- 1989 Jaboulet "La Chapelle" Hermitage. B+/A-
>
> Red #2- soft, red, round, a little barnyard, long, got more and more complex. 1989 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape. A-
>
> Second Flight was served with a cauliflower/onion tart.
> Everyone quickly got Bordeaux, but we flailed for the specifics a bit (I guessed Lynch, but for the wrong wine!). Once unveiled I'm a bit surprised to have found both so soft.
>
> Red #3 Black fruit, herby, a bit of earth, 1996 Lynch Bages B/B+
> (I've liked this more before)
>
> Red #4 *Cassis, soft, cedary, I thought it had a nice finish but someone else described as clipped. 1996 Pichon Baron. B+
>
> Third Flight was served w/ lentil & mushroom pot pie. Mark immediately says Italian, John Piedmont, then Barbaresco, then Mark goes directly to '98 Santo Stefano.Good job.
>
> Red # 5 Red fruit, tar, smoke, long and lovely. My WOTN 1998 Giacosa Santo Stefano Barbaresco Riserva. A-
>
> Red # 6 *Black and red cherries, citrus peel, earth, nice balance. *2001 Giacosa Santo Stefano Barbaresco. B+/A-
>
> Last flight was served w/ swiss chard & mushroom lasagna and roasted okra.. The food was great, brave to do meatless Monday with these carnivores, but no one was disappointed. ! I thought Australian on all three wines, it took group a long time to get around to these.
>
> Red #7 Oak and kirsch, burnt notes, hot. Not a fan. 2001 Muga "Torre Muga" Rioja. C
>
> Red #8 Very ripe,oaky, lush, superInternational but I like more than flightmates. 2000 Casa Lapostolle "Clos Apalta" B-/C+
>
> Red #9 Ripe, pruney, a bit more acid than first one. *1998 Muga "Torre Muga" Rioja C+/B-
>
> Last blind wine was clearly Port, Craig guessed vintage on first try, then John got Taylor on his first. *Sweet red fruit, spices, nutty, very nice. 1977 Taylor Vintage Port. A-
>
> Great night, thanks Tim.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Love that '96 Dom. A real favorite of mine.