Posted to rec.food.cooking
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Chopsticks

On Jan 19, 11:04*pm, notbob > wrote:
> Do you use them? *For what?
> Are you proficient with them?
> How often? *For non-Asian foods?

At home, I use bamboo chopsticks to eat things I cook in the wok; out,
mostly for Japanese food. Chinese restaurants give you plastic
chopsticks to use, which gives me no grip on something round, smooth,
and greasy like stirfried gai lan. Other than that, I am proficient.

One useful chopstick featu when you're heating oil in the wok,
stick a (bamboo) chopstick point down into the oil. When you see
bubbles coming up from the point, the oil is hot enough for frying.

NB: Not even Asians should use chopsticks to eat lunchtime "rice
plates." The sauce coats and lubricates the rice, forcing one to pick
it up grain by grain, should you be foolish enough to try to use
chopsticks.