Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_3_] John Kuthe[_3_] is offline

Default meat glue

On Jan 17, 3:08*pm, merryb > wrote:
> On Jan 17, 12:26*pm, Feranija > wrote:
>
> > On 17/01/12 12:06, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

> > > be careful, very careful, especially in Australia

> > >http://d.yimg.com/nl/australia/site/...2661&repeat=0&...

> > What ? "It says Sorry this video is no longer available".

> That's too bad...in a nutshell, meat processors were taking small bits
> of meat left over that can't be sold otherwise and adding an enzyme to
> them. Then they wrap them tightly with plastic wrap- like a sausage.
> The enzyme breaks down the meat enough to make it all stick together.
> They sliced some, and it looked very much like a tenderloin steak.

Did you see the taste test they did and they said the could not tell
the difference?

But later they explained the concern was that the outside each piece
of beat "glued together" was now at least partially on the inside, and
since bacterial contaminants typically only on the outside of a piece
of meat now being on the inside pose a health risk for people who like
to cook their steaks rare. Rationale being that the bacteria formerly
only on the outside and killed by charring the outside are now on the
inside and thus unaffected by charring the outside!

Scary!! Could meat glue mean we will all have to cook our steaks well
done? :-(

John Kuthe...