Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Stevia based sweeteners (Truvia, etc.)

Steve Pope wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>Steve Pope wrote:

>>> As far as taste goes, I do not think there is too much difference
>>> between Ketel One, Stoli, and Grey Goose; whereas Effen is
>>> possibly superior to any of these.

>>Have you ever tried a blind tasting of shots

> No
>
>>in clean glasses with the
>>bottles stored over night in the freezer?

> Why would that be a necessary part of a blind tasting?

It's supposed to be the way vodka tastes best. Near the freezing point
for water. Brings out the trace minerals but also accents the fusil
oils or something. After having tried shots at room temperature, shots
from a refridgerated bottle and shots from a bottle kept in the frezer I
agreed that it's best that way.

>>If you can tell the
>>difference among those brands in that situation then your tastes are
>>more refined than mine.

> I cannot say for sure I could tell them apart in a blind taste test.

Then I am certain I would not be able to tell the brands apart when done
in a blind tasting. I've mostly switched to a beer or mead or two a
week these days and my consumption of distilled stuff is very small
except in my Christmas egg nog.

>>We used Finlandia, Aboslut and Stoli from the
>>Soviet Union back in 1977 or so. I could just barely tell those top
>>shelf brands from the bottom shelf brands. No way I can tell with any
>>mixer stronger than a twist of lemon rind.

> Those are all sub-top-shelf brands today. I'm not even sure Ketel One
> counts as top-shelf at this point. (Whatever "top-shelf" means,
> I'm not certain.)

I know of someone who keeps Smirnoff in the freezer in a Grey Goose
bottle. He claims none of his guests have ever been able to tell the
difference. I'd rather go with some good brand in its original bottle
but if I want to show off I'll bring out my own home brewed ale or mead.