Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default For one who shall remain nameless.....

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:56:34 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
>: Tiger Lily wrote:
>
>: > On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
>: >> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
>: >> that is.
>: >
>
>: > Bl??m?r (filled sausage/black pudding)
>
>: > Svinasulta (jellied ham)
>: > Svi? (jellied sheep's head)
>: >
>: > oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want
>
>: It's only the shark that's - well, suspect. The ones I have left in are
>: known here in Norway as well: Svinasulta must be Sylte, made from slices of
>: pork (and veal), in pork stock, wrapped in cheesecloth and pressed for a
>: couple of days. I forget the spices, but slices of the product taken with
>: mustard - delicious. Most people know black pudding, can also be made in
>: sausage form. Dw loves it, I hate it!
>
>: Svi? - Smalahove - I've never had it. Smoked sheep's head, the wool is
>: burned off. Smalahove is a western dialect word meaning - sheep's head :-)
>
>: > TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
>: >
>: > katee
>
>: Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters? <G>
>
>Usually called Prarie oysters in my experience, and for me the answer is
>no, but I have had ptcha(hate it) which are jellied calves feet.
>
>The Scots have haggis, sheep's stomach packed with oatmeal and other stuff
>
>Then there is head cheese,
>
>Pork jowls, pickled pigs' feet,
>
>Calves brains, cows stomach(tripe), sausage casings( intestine)
>
>The list goes on. In many societies it was necessary to use every bit of
>the amnimal as they needed all the food they cul dscrape together.
>
>Ofen what we look at as yech was once considered a delicacy. We still
>carryon about fish roe(eggs taken form inside the fish) How about steak
>and kidney pie? If you have ever handled kidneys you know they can have a
>familiar smell we generally don't associate with food:-)
>
>Spleen, heart, lungs(often now forbidden as germ carrierTB, I believe).
>chicken gizzards, etc. The list goes on.
>
>Every culture has such foods so don't pick, particularly on Norway:-)
>
>Wendy

When my mother would cook a turkey, she would leave the gizzard in the
pan as it roasted. We'd fight over that delicious bit. It is a
muscle after all, with a bit of a gamey taste. Chicken gizzards are
good too.

Evelyn