Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default For one who shall remain nameless.....

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: Tiger Lily wrote:

: > On 1/14/2012 9:58 AM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: >> Google "thorrablot" and read the food list. I dare you. Generic "you",
: >> that is.
: >

: > Bl??m?r (filled sausage/black pudding)

: > Svinasulta (jellied ham)
: > Svi? (jellied sheep's head)
: >
: > oh yes, rotting meat, just what i want

: It's only the shark that's - well, suspect. The ones I have left in are
: known here in Norway as well: Svinasulta must be Sylte, made from slices of
: pork (and veal), in pork stock, wrapped in cheesecloth and pressed for a
: couple of days. I forget the spices, but slices of the product taken with
: mustard - delicious. Most people know black pudding, can also be made in
: sausage form. Dw loves it, I hate it!

: Svi? - Smalahove - I've never had it. Smoked sheep's head, the wool is
: burned off. Smalahove is a western dialect word meaning - sheep's head :-)

: > TG i live today! i would never have got to grade school age LOL
: >
: > katee

: Have you ever had Rocky Mountain Oysters? <G>

Usually called Prarie oysters in my experience, and for me the answer is
no, but I have had ptcha(hate it) which are jellied calves feet.

The Scots have haggis, sheep's stomach packed with oatmeal and other stuff

Then there is head cheese,

Pork jowls, pickled pigs' feet,

Calves brains, cows stomach(tripe), sausage casings( intestine)

The list goes on. In many societies it was necessary to use every bit of
the amnimal as they needed all the food they cul dscrape together.

Ofen what we look at as yech was once considered a delicacy. We still
carryon about fish roe(eggs taken form inside the fish) How about steak
and kidney pie? If you have ever handled kidneys you know they can have a
familiar smell we generally don't associate with food:-)

Spleen, heart, lungs(often now forbidden as germ carrierTB, I believe).
chicken gizzards, etc. The list goes on.

Every culture has such foods so don't pick, particularly on Norway:-)

Wendy