LG

Default Specific Gravity - Primary Fermentation

Many do the primary in a big bucket, in which case there is no place to
attatch the airlock.

If you ferment in a 23 L carboy there may not be enough headroom in your
fermenter, because it may bubble and foam too much, etc. A food grade
anti-foaming agent can help, but it's also better to use some kind of larger
primary fermenter.

I use a larger glass 6.8 gallon fermenter as a primary, and that leaves
quite a bit of headroom, and I attatch the airlock. The yeasties seem to
have no trouble at all without any oxygen, and in fact, yeast produces
enormous amounts of CO2 gas, which they generate in part to help kill off
enemy bacteria, so it seems obvious to me that yeast don't require any
oxygen at all.

LG